The application deadline is March 1, 2013, for the annual Susan C. Murray Memorial Women’s rail industry scholarship.
The four-year college scholarship is named after Mrs. Murray, an executive at Commonwealth Business Media (now known as UBM Global Trade) who was instrumental in the creation and early success of the American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association’s annual exhibition, and who passed away in January 2003. The Susan C. Murray Scholarship is awarded annually to a daughter or granddaughter of an employee of an ASLRRA railroad or associate member company who holds a strong academic record, serves as a participant and leader in extracurricular activities and possesses the drive to reach success in their chosen profession.
Past winners are:
- Amanda Dawn Simmons, granddaughter of Tommy Joe Alexander from Jefferson Warrior Railroad
- Dina McKenney, daughter of Rob McKenney from the former Georgia & Florida RailNet
- Kathryn Medlock, daughter of Mike Medlock from Klutts Equipment
- Marion Joy, daughter of Christine Joy from Union Switch & Signal
- Kristin Wegner, daughter of Mark Wegner from Twin Cities & Western Railroad
- Margot Sidman, daughter of Mark Sidman from Weiner Brodsky Sidman Kider PC
- Mary Perkins, daughter of David Perkins from Angelina & Neches River Railroad
- Jane Muir, daughter of Scott Muir from Norfolk Southern Corp.
- Angelica Chapman, daughter of Mark Chapman from Greenbrier Rail Services